Sr Director, Product Management
Newark, New Jersey
Job ID: 901687
Listeners love Audible because they love the content Audible has to offer and how they connect with that content in the Audible experience. This team is all about building out the content and finance core of our award-winning service, by imagining new capabilities and service innovations, experimenting and iterating quickly, and quickly delivering to external and internal customers. You will lead a product team that articulates new possibilities and then moves fast to make them real. Your team will meet with potential listeners in new segments and new places, and content and finance professionals around the globe, to create the future of audio. Your team will initiate ideas, define product roadmaps, and help to deliver on those roadmaps in the systems that drive content ingestion, interface with content providers, and also form the foundation of the financial infrastructure of Audible.
You’ll be working hand-in-hand with mission-driven business leaders to expand the power of the spoken word, so it can reach more listeners than ever, from ever broader sources through increasingly diverse means. You’ll focus relentlessly on customer needs, working with user experience designers, to craft product capabilities that you’ll help software engineers to build. You’ll also be working with international teams to bring these capabilities into new markets emphasizing cultural and intellectual sensitivities, creating an Audible that delights a broad spectrum of listeners. You will of course delight Audible listeners, but you’ll also delight content providers and your fellow team members, with your world-class infrastructure systems.
You have an insatiable appetite for understanding your customers and are relentless in finding solutions that meet their needs, sweating the details and tying them back to the big picture. You know what customers value about Audible and can translate those needs into core foundational capabilities. You are passionate about bringing the spoken word to even just one more listener. You are an evangelist for the criticality of the systems you create. You believe in the mission. You want to change people’s lives.
You know how best to match what your product can do to what your customers know they need and to what they have yet to understand they need. You know what is easy to change about your product and what is challenging. You know how to evolve the product to meet evolving needs, moving the product ahead, leaving nobody behind.
You’re an accountable, hands on problem-solver with a positive attitude, letting nothing stand in the way. You know how to clarify the path forward and prioritize work. You know how to influence others.
You’re a natural collaborator equally comfortable talking tech with developers, user experience with designers, copy and positioning with product marketers, numbers with finance and marketing, and strategy with executive leadership. You pay attention to people, connect with them, and know how to achieve great things together.
You will have proven analytical capabilities, strong persuasive writing skills, broad business experience, the tenacity to develop ideas independently, and can thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment.
· Lead a team of top-notch product managers driving product direction at the core of Audible, covering a broad portfolio of critical systems, while driving continuous alignment with multiple C-level stakeholders.
· Drive product development from conceptualization through launch creating actionable plans, work streams and tactics and execute on those in support of new product launches, while setting and managing the right expectations with all relevant stakeholders.
· Lead in defining and manage product roadmaps, setting expectations with all relevant stakeholders.
· Drive cross-functional teams (including development, content, marketing, analytics, designers, and legal) to build great experiences together.
· Ensure business and technical stakeholder needs are aligned by driving mindful discussions that lead to crisp decisions.
· Interface with engineering team leaders to drive the creation and execution of the product roadmap.
· Create team-wide plans that have clear, measurable success criteria. Monitor success of deliverables through metrics.
· Solve ambiguous problems and proactively identify and mitigate risks before they become roadblocks.
· Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues that may impair the organization’s ability to meet its strategic, financial, and technical goals.
· Create and foster a culture that leverages data/analytics to make decisions.
· Eat, sleep, and breathe digital media. Know the competition. Identify the whitespace. Become a subject matter expert.
Basic Qualifications· 10+ years’ experience in digital product management with increasing responsibility.
· 5+ years of experience managing a team of product managers.
· Extensive experience in product management in an agile environment.
· Experience leading product teams to successful product launches.
· Demonstrated success utilizing superior verbal and written communication skills to influence teams and senior leaders.
· Experience in building innovative products in high-paced environments that require hands-on leadership.
· A demonstrated record of partnering with teams across the organization and influencing to achieve business results across multiple teams who may have different goals.
· Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, schedule tradeoffs and champion opportunistic new ideas with technical and non-technical employees.
Preferred Qualifications· BA/BS required in a technical field (computer science or an engineering related discipline).
· MBA or MS in a technical field.
Audible is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Audible, Inc. is the world’s largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We’re an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 475,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.