Software Development Manager, CMSTechnology | Job ID 1903165
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The position requires an engineer with experience architecting, developing and supporting distributed & scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications and services with hands-on coding experience in modern object-oriented language. In this role, you will exhibit leadership qualities including excellent judgment and high standards. You will have the ability to dive deep and remain in touch with business details, drive innovation in the teams, invoke passion in others, think big, and deliver results.
If you are an experienced Software Development Manager with a creative edge, problem-solving skills, a software development foundation and desire and to be part of Audible’s next generation technology, we want to talk with you. Joining our team provides the unique challenge and opportunity to deliver software that benefits many customers around the world.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are responsible for building scalable systems that enable content management from ingestion to publishing to lifetime maintenance and programming. This helps ensure that our customers can discover and access the content they want when they want it. These systems are built using cutting edge technologies from AWS like S3, Lambda and Step Functions.
As a Manager of Software Development, you will...
- Own the complete software development lifecycle: defining, prioritizing, designing, and leading implementation and testing of new features within an Agile environment.
- Define, manage and improve the software and product development processes by working closely with high-performance engineers.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team and ensure project plans and delivery commitments are met.
- Coach and mentor our high-performing architects and engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done, while enabling them to be future leaders who are focused on building a high growth and inclusive culture.
- Architect and develop the innovative technical design and implementation approach with the overall product line goals and objectives in mind.
- Own team’s operational excellence, including creation of and monitoring of metrics and alarms in a continuous process improvement environment.
- Manage department resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing to maintain a best-in-class engineering team. Hold regular 1:1s with the team.
- Experience managing, motivating and retaining high-performance engineering teams.
- Demonstrated experience with design and architecture.
- Ability to affect positive change, empower people, cultivate product technology visions and innovative solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present technical information and negotiate tradeoffs with a variety of audiences.
- Experienced decision maker with the ability to articulate product vision and roadmap.
- Experience with large scale, consumer facing, enterprise level applications.
- Prior experience as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer on the direction of the product design and development.
- 5+ years of software development experience in object-oriented design, coding and highly scalable, available and low latency web technologies.
- Experienced with building and architecting on AWS.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
I found a culture where everyone is inspired to constantly learn. I like to say that we’re not just customer obsessed—we’re also teammate obsessed.
Software Development Engineer