Software Development Engineer
Newark, New Jersey
Job ID: 907741
In this role, you will be instrumental in revolutionizing the way Audible captures high quality, reusable data from across our landscape of applications and services. You will partner with other software engineering teams and work together on building platforms for data capture and other areas of our data ecosystem to improve data availability and data instrumentation, and help to positively transform the value of data across Audible, by unlocking data so that it is faster, more available, more robust, and more of an actively useful asset for Audible teams to leverage.
HOW DOES AMAZON FIT IN?
We're a part of Amazon: they are our parent company and it's a great partnership. You'll get to play with Amazon's technologies, but it doesn't stop there. Audible is built on a strong foundation of Amazon technology and you'll have insight into the inner workings of the world's leading ecommerce experience. There's a LOT to learn! Your career will benefit from working with teams like Alexa, Search, Kindle, A9, P13N and many more.
If you want to own and solve problems, work with a creative dynamic team, fail fast in a supportive environment whilst growing your career and working on a platform that powers web applications used by millions of customers worldwide we want to hear from you.
Internal job description
· Play a leading role in building and maintaining the infrastructure for Enterprise Data Platforms, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, recent advances in distributed systems and data streaming, and operational excellence best practices
· Work closely with product owners and engineers across the company to instrument key data elements
· Design, build, and support platforms for monitoring and surfacing data quality issues
· Integrate different technologies to provide data lineage and visibility
· Effectively communicate with various teams and stakeholders, escalate technical and managerial issues at the right time and resolve conflicts.
· Demonstrate passion for quality and productivity by use of efficient development techniques, standards and guidelines
· Peer reviews of work. Actively mentor more junior members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done
Basic Qualifications· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
· 5+ years of professional software development experience
Preferred Qualifications· Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision
· Well-rounded engineering skills; full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience. Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions
· Strong data-oriented skills with knowledge of Core Data and database design
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment
· Familiarity with big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.)
· Experience working with Agile methodologies
Audible is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Audible, Inc. is the world’s largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We’re an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 475,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.