Software Development Engineer II
Newark, New Jersey
Job ID: 905048
The Audio Experiences group owns the core domains for Audible's Player and Library. Audible customers spend most of their time with Audible in either the Library or Player components of our application across FireOS, Android, iOS, and Web. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences, delight our customers, and reshape how development is done across all surfaces and devices within Audible. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening Continuous Deployment across surfaces; new technologies like Progressive Web Apps, Encrypted Media Extensions, adaptive live streaming, and edge architectures; as well as driving a strong engineering culture with processes like Chaos Engineering and A/B Testing.
This opportunity specifically is as a Software Development Engineer within the Audio Experiences group. The team is building cutting edge components and 3rd party APIs being used internally and externally. We build the common components and libraries for the Library and Player experiences, as well as the customer facing UI for Audible's Android, iOS, and Web applications. Our components enable all Audible listening experiences whether through our apps, Amazon devices, or even third-party devices like Sonos. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project.
HOW DOES AMAZON FIT IN?
We're a part of Amazon: they are our parent company and it's a great partnership. You'll get to play with all of Amazon's technologies like Lambda, DynamoDB, ECS, and CloudFront, but it doesn't stop there. Audible is built on a strong foundation of Amazon technology and you'll have insight into the inner workings of the world's leading ecommerce experience. There's a LOT to learn! Your career will benefit from working with teams like Alexa, Kindle, A9, P13N and many more.
If you want to own and solve problems, work with a creative dynamic team, fail fast in a supportive environment while growing your career and working on high volume (5000+ transactions per second) services that support millions of customers worldwide, we want to hear from you.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be part of a full-stack team that includes iOS, Android, Web, and API developers. Our core goal is to make cross device development faster and higher quality. You will be a key part of the team for doing cross platform development.
· Develop web server and client-side application code for compelling web and mobile experiences.
· Plan and execute technical epics, from initial design through implementation, testing, and customer delivery.
· Influence the technical direction and strategy within the team.
· Partner with other engineers to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
· Evangelize our content and application, work closely with business development, and participate in events like external hackathons and internal brown bag sessions.
· Draw influence from trends, technologies, and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon. Share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
· Solve problems which are not clearly defined and have a large degree of ambiguity.
Basic Qualifications· 4+ years of experience in Java, C#, or other related object-oriented language.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· 6+ years of professional software development experience.
· Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
· Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
· A high-quality bar: just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment.
· A preference for Agile development methodologies.
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience.
Preferred Qualifications· Recent experience with frontend UI technologies like Angular or React.
· Experience with cross platform frameworks such as React Native.
· Past mentorship of other engineers within an organization, showing mutual growth.
· Expertise with digital-media delivery and packaging such as MPEG-DASH, HLS, HDS, Smooth Streaming, MPEG.
· Familiarity with digital audio encoding, particularly AAC and MP3.
· Aptitude for dependency injection frameworks and associated techniques using technologies like Spring or Guice.
· Competency in automation, enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment or Chaos Engineering.
· Recent experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Audible is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Audible, Inc. is the world’s largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We’re an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 475,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.