Software Development Engineer II - AndroidProduct & Technology | Job ID 1258396
This opportunity specifically is as a Software Development Engineer within the Audio Experiences group. The team is building cutting edge components and 3rd party APIs being used internally and externally. We build the common components and libraries for the Library and Player experiences, as well as the customer facing UI for Audible's Android, iOS, and Web applications. Our components enable all Audible listening experiences whether through our apps, Amazon devices, or even third-party devices like Sonos. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project.
· Own and be responsible for key components within the team.
· Design, develop, implement and support Key Components using latest technology that will influence teams beyond Audible.
· Work with Product Management and take the lead to help create, design and develop software that involves exploring and bringing out latest technology on the platform to make the listening experience better and easier for our users.
· Take every opportunity make a large impact on the design, architecture and implementation of cutting edge mobile based products.
· Provide technical direction and strategy to the team, drive the system architecture, spearhead the best practices and influence peer teams with brown-bag sessions and hackathons.
· Staying up to date on the latest trends & technologies industry-wide and sharing that knowledge with the internal community.
· Committed to team work, hustle and strong communication skills (both to business and technical peers).
· Thrive in delivering high quality technology mobile products in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities.
· Set the technical direction and strategy within the team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
· 4+ years of application development experience with Android
· Development experience in Java and Kotlin Android environments
· Experience with Android frameworks
· Experience applying computer science fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Experience communicating technical problems to both technical and business audiences verbally and in writing
· Experience writing testable code and automating test regressions
· Experience with multi-module application in a large distributed team environment.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
· Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining an Android app
· Experience with REST architecture for web services
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
· Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As the world's leading producer and provider of audio storytelling and spoken-word entertainment, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer