Senior Software Development EngineerTechnology | Job ID 1586179
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Excited by High Scale Distributed Systems and Personalization? Interested in working on complex problems and high impact projects?
Whether recommending content, improving search results, or anticipating what the customer is about to do, Personalization is all about making the product experience unique, relevant and valuable to the customer. The ideal candidate has background in developing large scale systems, interest in personalization, intense curiosity, excellent analytical abilities. You should be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big (while paying careful attention to details) and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Engineers will work closely with both business teams and development teams to understand requirements, design and develop the technical solution and collect feedback from customers. If you are looking for your next big challenge and career move, come talk to us.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Design, develop, and test software components and applications for the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
· Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components and influencing team decisions.
· Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
· Uses technology to solve difficult problems. Defines a design, turns it into high quality code, and delivers it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them.
· Capable of independently clarifying technical requirements, assessing development estimates and applying a broad range of design approaches.
· Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
· Drive continuous improvement of software quality, CX and maintainability of products/features.
· Continuous learning of technology trends, tools, and approaches, including sharing this knowledge with your team.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code.
· 4+ years industry experience in software development.
· Experience programming with Java or similar OO language.
· Development in object-oriented design, big data and large scale distributed systems.
· Experience building complex large scale software systems servicing millions of users.
· Experience working with AWS, NoSQL, streaming/lambda architectures (Apache Spark, Storm, Kafka).
· Interest in the field of personalization.
· Ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
· Experience building and delivering software systems to internal or external customers.
· Experience communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
· Experience with documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment. Enthusiasm for instilling this attitude in others.
· Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
· Able to make improvements to the team’s development and testing processes.
· Able to establish good working relationships with peers. Able to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them.
· Able to mentor teammates on team software, team culture, and customer obsession.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of audio storytelling and spoken-word entertainment, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer