'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Player TeamTechnology | Job ID 1646101
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Audible’s “Next Chapter” Returnship Program is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you’ll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Player team is responsible for building an audio listening platform that will improve how millions of Audible members hear and interact with spoken word content. We want to build an audio listening platform designed and optimized for the spoken word over other forms of audio entertainment so that comprehension and emotional impact is maximized for the listener. We own the end-to-end audio listening experience which includes player clients for web, iOS & Android, content security & digital rights management, content delivery infrastructure, and processing / synchronization of listening data across devices at a massive scale.
You are an innovative and passionate top software engineer looking to make a positive impact on customer experience. You like to own deliverables end-to-end and have a meaningful influence on the final product. You are a builder. You like to work with fellow engineers and product people to share knowledge, imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers. You're curious and love to learn unprompted as you stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices in the industry. Please don't hesitate to apply!
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Partner with cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our community and inspires your peers.
· Set the technical direction and strategy within a team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant.
· Solve difficult problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors, demonstrating sound judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
· Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence.
· Drive continuous improvement of software quality, CX and maintainability of products/features.
· Lead the way - staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· Building and maintaining very high traffic web services or scalable systems to collect, store, and process data.
· Prior use of AWS or equivalent cloud technologies at scale in a production environment (DynamoDB, Lambda, CloudFront, SNS, EC2, S3, CloudWatch, REST services and APIs).
· Experience with REST API, Serverless, Microservices, CI/CD.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer