'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, MobileTechnology | Job ID 1645526
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to help the team build customer facing UI for Audible's applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project. Feature development at Audible is a highly collaborative exercise, and you will be working directly with PMs and UX designers to help define the work that will drive customer value in the app.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The app teams own the core experience for Audible apps. Audible customers spend most of their time with Audible on their apps. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places for their listening. Achieving this vision means building a cohesive user experience on the app, maintaining operational excellence, and reducing customer friction that gets between our users and their content.
· A great communicator who can distill important information clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, helping them make informed decisions confidently.
· A team player who brings energy and passion to all efforts and inspires others to do the same.
· Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
· A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
· Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain deeper understanding.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Be part of the team. Our core goal is to make app easier to use for our customers, and more easily maintained by our engineers.
· Own key components within our platform, with the support of the team. "Owning" means envisioning, designing, creating, building, testing, and supporting.
· Contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Partner with product management to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
· Evangelize our content and application, work closely with business development, and through events like external hackathons and internal brown bag sessions.
· Take advantage of the resources, training and experts around you to stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
· Solve problems which are not clearly defined and have a large degree of ambiguity while translating our organizational vision into functional plans that guide their execution.
· Support our developers. "Support" means be the go-to-person for questions but never a bottleneck. See around the corner and anticipate developers' needs.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
· BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent practical experience.
· Background in any customer-facing software development (internal or external).
· Working knowledge of software development best practices: dependency injection, design patterns, unit/integration testing
· Experience building enterprise-scale mobile applications.
· Experience with application development, and app-adjacent tools and SDKs.
· Competency in automation, enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment.
· Open to relocate to Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer