'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Library TeamTechnology | Job ID 1646140
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Audible’s “Next Chapter” Returnship Program is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you’ll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This is where the magic happens; we bring the inspiring stories to life in every way. From curating the content, to delivering it to listeners and everything in-between, we own the listening experience. It takes a talented team of explorers, creators, developers, distributers and more, but it all comes together for a harmonious customer experience.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big, or small; to you, each challenge represents a well-executed venture to support our listeners. If you’re looking to build on your skills and grow into a leader, this is your next step. We look for people who take responsibility, set their standards high and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. You’re looking for an environment where you can thrive. With opportunities to challenge yourself and a talented team by your side, you’ll find what you’re looking for at Audible.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Be part of a full-stack organization that includes iOS, Android, Web, and API developers.
· Be part of a team that manages a core Middleware API platform. Our core goal is to help Audible deliver features faster and more efficiently via our platform.
· Describe and implement REST APIs, ensuring their performance and scalability for our millions of customers.
· Partner with other engineers to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
· Solve problems and have a large degree of ownership for the delivery of your code and design.
· Support the platform and ensure continual uptime.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· A preference for Agile development methodologies.
· Having a AWS developer certificate will be a big plus.
· Aptitude for dependency injection frameworks and associated techniques using technologies like Spring or Guice.
· Recent experience with REST API development, microservices, event-driven architecture, and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
· Competency in automation, enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment or Chaos Engineering.
· Knowledge of distributed systems: how they’re built, maintained, and optimized.
· Expertise with digital-media delivery and packaging such as MPEG-DASH, HLS, HDS, Smooth Streaming, MPEG.
· Familiarity with digital audio encoding, particularly AAC and MP3.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer