'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, CRMTechnology | Job ID 1644415
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
If you are a sharp, experienced software engineer with a creative edge, strong problem-solving skills, a solid software development foundation and desire and tenacity to be part of Audible’s next generation technology, we want to talk with you. Joining our team provides the unique challenge and opportunity to deliver software that benefits many customers around the world.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) team's mission is to develop systems and tools that enable marketers to provide customers multi-touch, personalized and timely messages that enhance the experience of using our services. Customer journey automation and real-time targeting are examples of systems that the team works on. These systems are built using cutting edge technologies and products from AWS like Kinesis, S3, EMR, Elastic Search, etc.
· A great communicator who can adapt their message to ensure understanding from multiple stakeholders.
· A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
· Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain deeper understanding.
· Adaptable team player who brings their best to every interaction and inspires the same in others.
· Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Play a leading role in building and maintaining the infrastructure for Enterprise Data Platforms, using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, recent advances in distributed systems and data streaming, and operational excellence best practices.
· Work closely with product owners and engineers across the company to instrument key data elements.
· Design, build, and support platforms for monitoring and surfacing data quality issues.
· Integrate different technologies to provide data lineage and visibility.
· Effectively communicate with various teams and stakeholders, escalate technical and managerial issues at the right time and resolve conflicts.
· Demonstrate passion for quality and productivity by use of efficient development techniques, standards and guidelines.
· Peer reviews of work. Actively mentor more junior members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
· Set the technical direction and strategy within the team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· Experience with ML and Big Data technologies.
· Experience with PL/SQL.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity.
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
· Well-rounded engineering skills; full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it.
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience. Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions.
· Strong data-oriented skills with knowledge of Core Data and database design.
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment.
· Familiarity with big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.).
· Experience working with Agile methodologies.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer