'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Audible on AmazonTechnology | Job ID 1659861
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This is an opportunity to imagine and invent while applying your sound technical expertise, natural leadership skills, and the ability to adapt and deliver quickly. You will be solving algorithmically complex problems, drive significant impact across our entire tech stack and build services that support enormous scale to delight Audible’s global customer user base. If you enjoy designing and building highly distributed systems that can scale while decomposing complex problems to solve, come join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Audible on Amazon QA team is responsible for testing the Audible experience on Amazon web and Amazon shopping apps on iOS and Android platforms. The team enables the Audible Technology Group to deliver the best product experience on Amazon surfaces. As a Software Development Engineer, you will lead new custom tooling efforts and own the automation framework for this team with the goal of continuously improving quality, engineering productivity and release velocity.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Be able to use technology to solve difficult problems. You will be proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them.
· Drive continuous improvement of software quality, CX and maintainability of products/features.
· Develop automation and tooling, drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product, while promoting best practices in quality areas.
· Build test software that exposes API defects in production level code.
· Innovate and drive adoption of latest industry best practices.
· Programmatically test the product, Measure test coverage and Develop right metrics to showcase value add based on adoption of new best practices.
· Be capable of independently clarifying technical requirements, assessing development estimates and applying a broad range of design approaches.
· Mentor and lead developers and QA engineer by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
· Knowledge of Spring, SOA and automated testing.
· Prior use of AWS or similar cloud technologies at scale in a production environment.
· A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.
· Understanding of QA Methodologies and software life cycle.
· Experience in designing and building test tools and systems.
· Understanding of application architecture and technology infrastructure.
· Experience with but not limited to JUnit/TestNG, Cypress, Selenium, mock objects.
· Open to relocate to Newark, NJ at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer