'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Audible on AlexaProduct & Technology | Job ID 1323162
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 16-week returnship program. There is a possibility of a full time offer conversion post-returnship. These full time offers will likely be based out of Cambridge, MA, and all full-time opportunities will offer relocation packages.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Audible on Alexa search team is continuously investigating innovative ways to ensure the optimal experience for our customers to stream their audiobooks on Alexa-enabled devices.
The Audible on Alexa team is looking for a Software Development Engineer to drive initiatives on the leading edge of Machine Learning (ML), Natural language processing (NLP), Entity Resolution (ER) and speech. You and your team will build the platform to ingest data from Audible’s vast and varied stores of product information, understand unstructured and semi-structured data, index them, and serve back answers to users' questions in real time. You will work on new techniques and technologies to capture voice-friendly data that will be presented to users with voice-first supported devices.
In this role, you will design, develop, test, and deploy massively scalable services, while at the same time redefining customer's expectations for what an intelligent assistant can answer.
HOW DOES AMAZON FIT IN?
We're a part of Amazon: they are our parent company and it's a great partnership. You'll get to play with Amazon's technologies, but it doesn't stop there. Audible is built on a strong foundation of Amazon technology and you'll have insight into the inner workings of the world's leading ecommerce experience. There's a LOT to learn! Your career will benefit from working with teams like Alexa, Search, Kindle, A9, P13N and many more.
If you are excited to own and solve problems, work with a creative dynamic team, fail fast in a supportive environment while growing your career and working on critical services or distributed systems that support millions of customers worldwide, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
· Contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Assist in developing solutions, web solutions and services: Envisioning, designing, creating, and supporting our solutions that operate with a high degree of operational excellence.
· Partner with a cross-functional team to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers. Be willing to explore technical needs and bring problems AND solutions to the table.
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence.
· Take advantage of the resources, training and experts around you to- stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
WHO YOU ARE:
· A great communicator who can adapt their message to ensure understanding from multiple stakeholders.
· A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
· Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain deeper understanding.
· Adaptable team player who brings their best to every interaction and inspires the same in others.
· Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Knowledge of Spring, SOA and automated testing.
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of designing for scalability, performance and reliability
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
· Open to relocate to Cambridge, MA at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
· Prior use of AWS or similar cloud technologies at scale in a production environment.
· A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
- Software Development Engineer II Cambridge, Massachusetts Product & Technology
- 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Data Science Cambridge, Massachusetts Product & Technology
- 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - QA Engineer, Audible on Alexa Cambridge, Massachusetts Product & Technology
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer