'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Application EngineeringTechnology | Job ID 1655730
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 18-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We expect candidates for a full-time role to reside or relocate to be within commuting distance of either our Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA hub, once we return to in-person work 1-3 days a week (currently scheduled for Q1 2022). If you are interested in a remote full-time opportunity, please discuss this with your recruiter.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Engineer on the Application Engineering team you will contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond and assist in developing solutions, web solutions and services: envisioning, designing, creating, and supporting our solutions that operate with a high degree of operational excellence. You will partner with a cross-functional team to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers. You are willing to explore technical needs and bring problems AND solutions to the table.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This opportunity is for a Software Development Engineer Returnship on the Application Engineering Team. Our Application Engineering team is dedicated to creating the best possible experience for our customers and Audible Employees. Application Engineering team supports Workday and Salesforce ERP systems and the SDE will help us integrate ERP domains with internal and external systems building world class services and integrations.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
· Be able to use technology to solve difficult problems.
· Work independently on a small, agile engineering team and execute on your great ideas.
· Partner with business stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires your peers.
· Develop automation and tooling, drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product, while promoting best practices in quality areas.
· Innovate and drive adoption of latest industry best practices.
· Programmatically test the product, measure test coverage and develop right metrics to showcase value add based on adoption of new best practices.
· Be capable of independently clarifying technical requirements, assessing development estimates and applying a broad range of design approaches.
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence.
· Take advantage of the resources, training and experts around you to- stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Knowledge of Spring, SOA and automated testing.
· Prior use of AWS or similar cloud technologies at scale in a production environment.
· Understand Database concepts and experienced with creating queries.
· A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.
· Open to relocate to Newark, NJ at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer