Head of Content LegalPeople & Operations | Job ID 1880588
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Audible (a division of Amazon Entertainment) is seeking an experienced content and media lawyer for a leadership role reporting to the General Counsel. As Global Head of Content Legal, you will lead Audible’s legal team supporting content acquisition, development, production, and distribution. This position is based at our Newark, NJ campus – 20 minutes from Manhattan.
You are creative, inquisitive, and enthusiastic about the intersection of media and technology, and enjoy working hard and being challenged. You have a good sense of humor, superb people and project management insight, and the ability to navigate amongst conflicting.
As Head of Content Legal you will...
· Provide strategic and legal counsel to senior management in structuring and navigating novel and complex deal structures in media and technology.
· Oversee the drafting and negotiation of a variety of agreements with creators and rights holders for original audio content development, acquisition, and production.
· Analyze risk and complex legal issues encountered in the course of original content production, including intellectual property (trademarks and copyrights) and other issues encountered in production clearances (defamation, rights of publicity and privacy).
· Provide consistent sound judgment, especially in ambiguous situations, while balancing business imperatives with legal risk.
· Serve as a liaison to cross-functional groups across the company, including tax, finance, royalties and other Audible and Amazon departments.
· Provide business-facing training on relevant topics.
· Extensive experience as a lead lawyer in negotiations of non-standard strategic content deals.
· Meaningful experience as production counsel including experience in pre-publication review, copyright and intellectual property clearances.
· Substantial dispute resolution experience.
· Significant experience managing and developing a large high performing legal team.
· J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one US state bar.
· Mix of major law firm and multi-national media company experience.
· Experience or strong interest in spoken word audio entertainment.
· Experience with guilds and/or unions (SAG, WGA, and Equity).
· Passion for Audible core mission to improve lives through storytelling, the company’s commitment to urban revitalization and its disruptive, technology-driven culture.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.