Director, UX DesignDesign & User Experience | Job ID 1113264
Leading the Design Systems team, you will drive the team to execute against your vision to deliver a distinctive and own-able experience for Audible across platforms. Your principles are rooted in the fundamentals of print and visual design where you use typography, spacing and color to deliver clear content hierarchy and will push the traditional conventions of digital layouts.
Working closely with the Brand team, you will ensure a harmonious integration of the brand system into the product experience, creating a seamless connection and brand identity for customers across all touchpoints. Additionally, as someone who is constantly seeking inspiration, you are able to see beyond current trends and enable the team to reimagine how customers interact with and listen to content. Storytelling is a core skill where you will use prototypes to communicate your thinking to stakeholders and work closely with engineering to deliver an iterative roadmap that executes towards the teams vision.
Build high-functioning UX teams
Leading design teams is your passion. You bring the same curiosity and focus you have for understanding customers and building product to the craft of developing high-performance teams. You create a learning environment where designers are encouraged to grow and expand their skills, techniques, and tools, and to embrace failure as fuel for creative problem-solving safely. You continuously help teams become more capable of solving complex problems and delivering thoughtful solutions.
Deliver high-quality products
You guide your teams through the process of transforming customer knowledge into compelling product features and services. You thoughtfully define problem spaces enabling the team to solve critical customer and business challenges. Your in-depth understanding of human-centered design methods, design thinking techniques, and tools allow you to coach teams through the process of planning, navigating tradeoffs, and creating meaningful customer experiences.
Deepen customer knowledge
You hold a fundamental belief that understanding customer needs creates the opportunity for product innovation and drives business outcomes. You do not assume that you understand customer needs; instead, you ensure that the team is continuously validating their assumptions with customers, staying connected to customer sentiment and satisfaction, and ensuring that the customer is present in every design choice.
You advocate for the purpose and value of design thinking and user research in the product design process across the organization. You help others understand how design delivers business results by creating innovative and meaningful product experiences for our customers. You seek to demystify UX processes, methods, and activities to increase the impact of the UX practice. You ensure your teams are well equipped and empowered to achieve their best results. The trust you earn by helping others achieve their goals enables you to push the boundaries of design across the organization.
A day in the life of a Design Director at Audible
· Managing the Design Systems team, you will oversee UX designers dedicated to building and evolving Audible’s component library in addition to the VX team who are focused on crafting Audibles visual language.
· Partner closely with cross-functional partners from product, brand, insights & analytics, engineering, customer service, marketing, and QA.
· Working with partners, you will execute against a vision that brings the experience to life and effortlessly guides the customer through the experience, across platforms and contexts.
· Transform project requirements, business goals, customer needs, and technical constraints into a crisp set of problems to solve and goals to achieve. Enable managers and teams to craft clear, well-estimated plans; determining what activities, deliverables, and iterations are needed to produce the best quality design in the appropriate timeframe.
· Monitor team progress, efficiency, velocity, and goals alignment. Engage in regular project reviews and critiques to ensure that solutions are of high quality and aligned with UX strategy and standards. Diagnose, triage, and solve issues quickly to reduce project risk.
· Contribute and support service-wide User Experience Strategy and Design System standards driving product coherence and continuity. Collaborate with UX leaders to design, develop, and iterate internal UX processes, toolsets, and methods that enable the UX practice to become more efficient and influential.
· Develop and grow business relationships across the organization that increase transparency, understanding, and awareness of UX to promote collaboration, strong partnerships, advocacy, and support the UX practice has with external teams.
· Build trust with design teams through clear, constructive, and consistent communication, as well as continued investment in their careers and success. Continuously assess the skillsets and goals of individuals, to match them with the skills required for the work, creating the conditions for individual growth and project for success.
· Participate in the hiring of peers and team members to enhance the UX practice's capabilities and continuing to raise the bar of talent. Assess and screen candidates for skill and organizational fit. Foster a team culture that is attractive to a diverse range of high-performing candidates.
· 3+ years experience leading managers and teams of 5+ designers across multiple projects.
· Built and maintained a design system with examples of shipped components.
· A track record of delivering high-quality digital products that delivered results as a design manager, and the ability to craft a holistic product vision to guide the team; illustrated with case studies.
· Proven ability to take defined customer needs and business goals and work with managers to translate them into estimated plans with appropriate resources.
· Transform business strategy and customer research insights into a detailed plan and roadmap.
· Demonstrate a presentation and communication style and skillset appropriate for executive-level audiences inside and outside the design team.
· Track record of growing and mentoring staff who have varying capabilities, skillsets, and processes.
· Care deeply about building a brand, a product experience like no other.
Audible, Inc. is the world’s largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We’re an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 475,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
- User Experience Designer - experience with search & browse, content discovery Newark, New Jersey Design & User Experience User Experience Design is at the heart of Audible’s goal to be customer obsessed. The UX team works ceaselessly to trans
- Sr Director, UX Design Newark, New Jersey Design & User Experience User Experience Design is at the heart of Audible’s goal to be customer obsessed. The UX team works ceaselessly to trans
- Sr UX Researcher Newark, New Jersey Design & User Experience User Experience Research is at the heart of Audible’s goal to be obsessed with our customers, bringing their point of vi
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.