Director, User Experience
Newark, New Jersey
Job ID: 848373
This position ensures that our customers are able to effortlessly engage with Audible's unique spoken word content across multiple platforms including iOS, Android, web, and voice interfaces like Alexa. You will shape and manage multiple projects to drive significant change across our service. The process, vision, and taste you bring to your work places customer's needs front and center ensuring that our designs deliver strong business results with impeccable style.
Build high functioning UX teams
Leading teams is your new design problem. The same curiosity and focus you have for understanding customers and building product is brought to the craft of building high performance teams. You create an honest and safe environment for the team that allows you to continuously push your team to grow their skills and improve results. This same curiosity and drive allows you to evaluate and improve the tools we are using to deliver work and manage our teams.
Deliver high quality products
You frame the right problem space for the team to help them solve critical customer and business challenges. Deep knowledge of design processes and tools allow you to coach and guide teams through planning and the complex tradeoffs necessary to deliver excellent design work. The critical eye you honed over the years enables you to provide constructive and incisive feedback ensuring that we are always improving.
Deepen customer knowledge
A belief that understanding the customer's inherent goals drives product innovation and business results drives your work. You help create tools and frameworks that enable the UX team and cross-functional partners to deeply understand Audible's users and ensure that the customer has a seat at the table for every design decision.
The cross functional relationships you build allow you to communicate how design tools and approaches deliver business results and innovation for our customers. You understand how to help others engage with the UX team and demystify design so they can easily incorporate it into their planning and adopt design methods in their own work. The trust you earn by helping people achieve their goals earns you the permission needed to push the boundaries of design across the organization.
· Lead multiple UX project teams and collaborating with cross-functional teams like product managers, data science, engineering, customer service, marketing, merchandising, and QA to understand and refine requirements and goals of projects from the perspective of the customer. You work with the broader team to help frame shape proposed solutions and approaches to fit into the larger UX and Business strategy.
· Transform broad business, technical, and customer needs into a crisp set of problems to solve and goals to achieve. You do high level planning by digging into the scope of work and determining what activities, deliverables, and number of iterations are required to balance quality and speed of delivery. You help managers and teams groom and refine these high level plans into clear next steps that allow them to quickly start work and for you to track the project's progress.
· Engage in regular project reviews and critiques to ensure that the solutions being delivered are at the highest quality and are seamlessly aligned with the overall service experience and our UX strategy and standards. Problems with solutions and projects are quickly diagnosed and solutions are put into place to reduce project risk.
· Work with UX leadership to define our service wide UX strategy and design standards. You take on ownership for designing and developing internal delivery processes and tools to help the entire practice become more effective.
· Build relationships across the organization to give your teams the space and trust necessary to deliver the highest quality product that meet the goals of your partners. Earning the trust of your design teams through clear consistent communication and personal investment in their careers and success.
· Assemble the right people and skills to ensure that projects are successful. You assess and match people up to the right task and problem and know when to take a chance to help them grow and stretch their skills.
· Hire new teammates to enhance the UX practice's skills and build out capacity. You can quickly assess and screen candidates for skill and organizational fit. The team culture you build is attractive to a diverse range of high performing candidates.
Basic Qualifications· 7+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar role.
· 3+ years experience managing managers and teams of 6+ designers across multiple tracks of work
· A track record of designing high-quality digital products as a manager and the ability to craft an overall vision to guide the team; illustrate with case studies.
· Proven ability to take defined customer and business goals and helping managers translate them into crisp well estimated plans that are appropriately resourced
· Able to take business strategy and customer research insights and transform them into a detailed plan and roadmap that delivers business results.
· Demonstrates executive level presentation and communication skills for audiences inside and outside the design team.
· Track record of growing and mentoring staff in a broad range of design skills and processes.
Preferred Qualifications· The ability to craft design strategy, customer models (personas / journey maps / user research synthesis), and technical understanding of the constraints of multiple platforms; illustrate with case studies
· Prior experience managing teams as part of a internal design practice including: hiring and developing talent; developing processes and tools to ensure design quality; as well as measuring success in terms of human and business impact.
· Delivered designs intended for a consumer market with significant business and technical complexity. Underlying awareness for an international consumer base.
· Knowledge of the digital audio market and trends.
Audible is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Audible, Inc. is the world’s largest seller and producer of spoken audio entertainment, information and educational programming. Since inventing and commercializing the first portable digital audio player in 1997, our focus on technological innovation and superior programming has earned us millions of subscribers around the world. We’re an Amazon subsidiary with a presence on four different continents, yet we maintain a startup vibe and small company feel. We offer more than 475,000 downloadable audiobooks, audio editions of periodicals, and other programs, and an escalating array of listening products that enrich daily life for a growing population of people who want to be more productive, well-informed, and thoughtfully entertained.