Director, Software DevelopmentTechnology | Job ID 1946679
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
In this role, you will manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audible’s Consumer Domains group.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are the team that focuses on global solutions in the areas of Price, Purchase and Payments services, in support of Audible membership and content orders, shopping cart experience, and buying options. Out area of ownership extends to lead compliance work in collaboration with Amazon digital content and payment services teams.
We are the home for tech talent that wants to grow Audible’s market-leading business and build full stack web applications and services. The team is comprised of developers who work in a fast-paced agile environment and partner closely with Audible and Amazon tech teams, Product, UX and QA.
We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our global customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
As a Director of Software Development , you will...
- Own and lead full life cycle delivery of large cross functional projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon.
- Lead operational excellence of our flagship solutions and drive technical strategy across the organization.
- Manage a team, coaching and mentoring our high-performing architects and engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
- Partner with senior leadership and cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers.
- Constantly strive to raise the bar on delivery and operational excellence performance and quality in a fast agile environment.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 3+ years of experience leading architects and full stack development teams that support consumer-facing global web solutions.
- 3+ years of experience developing and deploying distributed, low latency, and high availability solutions.
- 3+ years of experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams.
- History of delivering customer-driven software products at a high scale in a fast paced, technology first, rapid-growth company.
- Prior experience as a software engineer who strategically influenced the direction of the product design and development.
- Demonstrated ability to build, motivate and retain high-performance engineering teams while leading engineering culture change.
- Prior use of AWS or other enterprise cloud technologies at scale in a production environment.
- Working experience with java, microservices, CI/CD, and cross-platform development.
- Experienced pragmatic decision maker and driver with the ability to articulate product vision and roadmap.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively across teams & multiple division stakeholders.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
I found a culture where everyone is inspired to constantly learn. I like to say that we’re not just customer obsessed—we’re also teammate obsessed.
Software Development Engineer