Director, Software Development – Consumer DomainTechnology | Job ID 1540949
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Director, you’ll use your expert technical knowledge to improve our software development processes, so that our customers can continue to enjoy the Audible platform. We pride ourselves on our ability to anticipate and solve problems before they arise, you’ll guide our engineers to identify and overcome ambiguous problems and long-term risks. You’ll make decisions to benefit customers, striving to improve the quality and performance of our platform. And while you mentor our managers and engineers, you’ll also collaborate with teams and stakeholders across the business to communicate new ideas. With a talented team, you’ll drive technical strategies and successfully deliver software that will make an impact on our listeners.
If your goal is to always raise the bar, this is the role for you. From quality and performance to delivery, you always strive to produce perfection and inspire those around you to do the same. You thrive in fast-paced environments, and you’re a talented problem-solver, combining your technical judgement with your analytical and design skills to always make decisions with the customer in mind. We look for leaders who are always a step ahead; who seek out the risks before they become roadblocks. This is your chance to lead our engineers and deliver software that innovates.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This opportunity is for a Director of Software Development who will manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audible’s Consumer Domains group. We are the team that creates and powers Audible’s web applications and services for our global listeners. We are the home for tech talent that wants to grow Audible’s market leading business and build the sites and services (APIs) across desktop and mobile devices. The team is comprised of developers who work in a fast-paced agile environment and partner closely with Audible and Amazon tech teams, Product, UX and QA.
We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
As a Director, Software Development, you will:
· Lead full life cycle delivery of large cross functional projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon.
· Manage senior developers, tech leads and Scrum Teams.
· Guide technical strategy & direction across the organization.
· Lead operational excellence of our flagship solutions.
· Coach and mentor our high-performing managers, architects and engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done, while enabling them to be future leaders who are focused on building a high growth and inclusive culture.
· Partner with senior leadership and cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers.
· Make conscious effort to raise the bar on delivery performance and quality in an agile environment.
· Demonstrated experience with design and architecture. Preferably large scale, consumer facing, enterprise level applications.
· Demonstrated success building, motivating and retaining high-performance engineering teams, coaching teams and building a collaborative culture.
· Ability to affect positive change, empower people, cultivate product technology visions and innovative solutions.
· Prior experience as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer on the direction of product design and development.
· A Track record of being at the forefront of engineering culture change and supporting your team and peers through the change successfully.
· A history of delivering customer-driven software products at a technology first, rapid-growth company.
· 5+ years of experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams.
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer