Director of Software DevelopmentTechnology | Job ID 2158260
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity specifically is as a Senior Manager of Software Development within the Audio Experiences group. The team is building cutting edge components and 3rd party APIs being used internally and externally. We build the common components and libraries for the Library and Player experiences, as well as the customer facing UI for Audible's Android, iOS, and Web applications. Our APIs enable all Audible listening experiences whether through our apps, Amazon devices, or even third party devices like Sonos. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Audio Experiences group owns the core domains for Audible's Player and Library. Audible customers spend most of their time with Audible in either the Library or Player components of our application across FireOS, Android, iOS, and Web. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences, delight our customers, and reshape how development is done across all surfaces and devices within Audible. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening Continuous Deployment across surfaces; new technologies like AWS Lambda and Fargate, Common Encryption Standard media, adaptive live streaming, and edge architectures; as well as driving a strong engineering culture with processes like Chaos Engineering and A/B Testing.
As a Director of Software Development, you will...
- Lead 1 scrum teams of 5 to 9 Engineers.
- Work and communicate with cross functional teams – technology, business and operations to manage multiple projects.
- Own the complete software development lifecycle; designing, and leading implementation and testing of new features within a fast paced, Agile environment.
- Define, manage and improve the software and product development processes by working closely with high-performance engineers.
- Define and execute against project plans and delivery commitments; Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team.
- Maintain a hands-on approach to deliver high scale platforms for one of Audible’s flagship offerings.
- Ensure the delivery of quality releases through management of direct reports; conduct code reviews.
- Manage departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing to maintain a best-in-class engineering team.
- Actively mentor more junior members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems, and their ability to get things done, and their career growth and development.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Prior experience in Domain Driven Design and RESTful service architecture.
- Experience running cross functional teams (two or more of these skills on a team: iOS, Android, Web, and Java APIs).
- 5+ years experience of software development and deployment of distributed multi-tier applications.
- 2+ years experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams.
- Proven success building, motivating and retaining high-performance engineering teams.
- History of delivering customer-driven software products at a high scale in a fast paced, technology first, rapid-growth company.
- Ability to lead positive change, empower people, cultivate product technology visions and innovative solutions.
- Experienced decision maker and driver with the ability to articulate product vision and roadmap.
- Prior success as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer on the direction of the product design and development.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively across teams & multiple division stakeholders.
- Experience with distributed digital media technology content delivery - Live Streaming or On-demand video, music, or audio.
- History of engineering cultural change including CI/CD, Chaos Engineering, and Microservices or API first development.
- Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a stable production environment.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in a common office space (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). Some teams will work mostly at hub, some mostly at home and others hybrid. For more information, please visit adbl.co/hybrid.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
Being a Data Scientist at Audible means impacting millions of customers every day—it's a meaningful and inspiring mission; to enrich customers’ lives with education, entertainment, and information.
Director, Data Science
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.