Director of Software DevelopmentTechnology | Job ID 1999179
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity is for a Director of Software Development who will manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audible’s Consumer Domain group. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our global customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this global vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This is a brand new team charged with building and supporting Audible’s shared client architecture. This team will provide common services that will be used across multiple client technologies to support a variety of components and functions. This team will also support core infrastructure and common features as well as provide facilities to increase the scalability, resilience and flexibility of existing and new client functionality.
As a Director of Software Development, you will...
- Own and lead full life cycle delivery of cross functional projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon.
- Drive development and operational excellence of our flagship solutions.
- Coach and mentor our high-performing engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers.
- Constantly strive to raise the bar on delivery performance and quality in a fast agile environment.
- Lead 1-2 Scrum teams.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience leading full stack development web teams.
- 5+ years experience of software development and deployment of distributed multi-tier applications.
- 3+ years experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of web and SOA distributed technologies and platforms such as Java/J2EE.
- Demonstrated experience implementing solutions leveraging AWS capabilities.
- Past experience leveraging machine learning models to deliver insights and enrich customer experiences is highly preferred.
- Action-oriented strategic thinker.
- Be able to thrive in an ambiguous environment - where change is the only constant.
- Detailed oriented to ensure that project success is paramount.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and an out of the box thinker.
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and work in a very fast paced environment.
- Track record of defining and delivering cross functional solutions that are innovative and extensible.
- Be able to disagree, yet align, when dealing with different stakeholders.
- Results oriented and with a strong customer focus.
- Highly autonomous. Delivers with little guidance.
- Strong mentor of peers and subordinates.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
I found a culture where everyone is inspired to constantly learn. I like to say that we’re not just customer obsessed—we’re also teammate obsessed.
Software Development Engineer