Senior Software Development EngineerTechnology | Job ID 1910683
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to research, define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools and systems that you need to succeed. You’ll be essential in ensuring the team can reach their potential; working closely with them, reviewing their work, mentoring, and supporting them to develop. Together, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This is an opportunity to join Audible’s Tech Innovation team, in a brand new Audible hub in Los Angeles. This team works on a variety of projects: creating product experiments, prototyping emerging technologies, and helping support and drive innovation at Audible. The projects will begin R&D and experimental in nature, some will launch, and some will fail - successful projects will reach an audience of millions creating disruptive value for existing and new audiences. Above all, each project will strengthen our learning and grow our innovative passion.
True to Audible’s People Principles, we are committed to the success of our people and supporting the communities in which we work. Our leadership team is dedicated to mentoring and coaching to help each individual identify their career goals, flourish, and achieve their potential. Our environment encourages everyone to participate. Our diverse team depends on differing backgrounds and perspectives to foster robust conversations that lead us to the right solutions for our customers.
On Audible’s newly founded Creator Tools/Marketplace team, our customers are talented storytellers, voice actors, producers and other creators. We build innovative tools that let these creators focus on creation while we help to bring their art to millions of consumers by building tools that are valuable, easy to use, and most importantly ensure their success with customers. By focusing on our creators, we also create value to Audible’s global consumers - helping them to discover new content, talent and stories they love and share.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big, or small; to you, each challenge represents a well-executed venture to support our listeners. If you’re looking to build on your skills and grow into a leader, this is your next step. We look for people who take responsibility, set their standards high and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. You’re looking for an environment where you can thrive. With opportunities to challenge yourself and a talented team by your side, you’ll find what you’re looking for at Audible.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Design, develop, and test software components and applications for one of the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
- Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components and influencing team decisions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
- Use technology to solve difficult problems. Define a design, turn it into high quality code, and deliver it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them.
- Independently clarify technical requirements, assessing development estimates and apply a broad range of design approaches.
- Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
- Drive continuous improvement of software quality, customer experience, and maintainability of products/features.
- Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
- Continuous learning of technology trends, tools, and approaches, including sharing this knowledge with your team.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
- Experience building and delivering software systems to internal or external customers.
- Knowledge of AWS or similar cloud-based infrastructure and/or developer tools
- Experience working on a variety of surfaces, including mobile, web, services, iOT.
- Experience in advanced technologies: blockchain, spatial computing, iOT, ML, AI, VR, AR.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, enabling effective messaging with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A high-quality bar: documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment. Enthusiasm for instilling this attitude in others.
- Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
- Able to work through ambiguous research problems independently.
- Able to make improvements to the team’s development and testing processes.
- Able to establish good working relationships with peers. Able to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them.
- Able to mentor teammates on team software, team culture, and customer obsession.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
- Creator Marketplace Senior Director Los Angeles, California Technology
- Director of Software Development Los Angeles, California Technology
- 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Development Engineer Los Angeles, California Technology
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
I found a culture where everyone is inspired to constantly learn. I like to say that we’re not just customer obsessed—we’re also teammate obsessed.
Software Development Engineer