Lead Software Development Engineer, Creator MarketplaceTechnology | Job ID 2385897
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a lead Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to research, define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools and systems that you need to succeed. You’ll be essential in ensuring the team can reach their potential by working closely with them, reviewing their work, mentoring, and supporting their career development. Together, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This is an opportunity to join a growing team in a brand new Audible hub in Los Angeles. Audible’s Creator Marketplace customers are talented storytellers, voice actors, producers, publishers and our internal content teams. We build innovative tools that let these creators focus on creation while helping them bring their art to millions of listeners by building tools that are valuable, easy to use, and ensuring their success with their audience. By focusing on our creators, we also create value to Audible’s global consumers by helping them to discover new content, talent and stories they love and share.
True to Audible's People Principles, we are committed to the success of our people. We define success as not only career advancement but also personal growth and well-being. We actively support our employees through various programs, including mentoring and coaching opportunities, training initiatives, and flexible work arrangements that promote a healthy work-life balance. At Audible, we cherish the diverse backgrounds and perspectives within our team, recognizing that they are essential for fostering robust conversations and finding the right solutions for our customers. We encourage each individual to bring their unique experiences to the table, knowing that diversity fuels our creativity, enriches our collaborative efforts, and leads to better outcomes. By embracing differing viewpoints, we unlock the full potential of our team and create a culture of inclusion and respect.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big or small. We look for individuals who take ownership of their work, show initiative, and set high standards. Setting high standards means consistently striving for excellence, pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and delivering exceptional results. At Audible, we believe that every failure is an opportunity to learn and grow. We foster an environment that encourages individuals to embrace failure as a natural part of the learning process. We see it as an opportunity to analyze, adapt, and improve, ultimately driving innovation and personal development.
We have exciting opportunities that will challenge you to leverage your technical expertise and make a significant impact. As a technical role model and high-impact contributor, you will have the change to work alongside a team of exceptionally talented individuals who share your passion for innovation and success. Together, you will create transformative experiences for our audience.
As a lead Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Independently lead complex technical initiatives within your team
- Mentor and lead others by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding
- Set the technical strategy for your team
- Drive clarify technical around requirements, assessing development estimates and apply a broad range of design approaches
- Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch scalable and maintainable software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers
- Drive continuous improvement of software quality, customer experience, and maintainability of products/features
- Stay on top of technology trends, tools, and approaches
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in an Audible workspace (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). For more information, please visit adbl.co/hybrid.
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years of programming experience with one or more modern language (e.g., Java, C++, C#, React), including object-oriented design
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience writing clear, maintainable and extensible code and technical documents
- Experience building and delivering software systems to internal or external customers
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Knowledge of AWS or similar cloud-based infrastructure and/or developer tools
- Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, to address both technical and non-technical audiences
- History of assuming responsibility for a team’s architecture and providing a system-wide view to stakeholders
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations independently
- Problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations
- Able to make improvements to the team’s development and testing processes
- A high-quality bar: documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment
- Enthusiasm for instilling this attitude in others
- Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership
- Able to establish good working relationships with peers
- Able to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them
- Able to mentor teammates on team software, team culture, and customer obsession
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $134,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $261,500/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.