Corporate Counsel – Content Legal: Production and DevelopmentPeople & Operations | Job ID 2066595
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Audible is seeking an experienced content lawyer to support our rapidly evolving and expanding Original Content initiatives. As Corporate Counsel, you will be a key member of Audible's Content Legal team providing legal support on the development and production of original content for a variety of scripted and unscripted original audio projects. This position may be based at our Newark, NJ campus – 20 minutes from Manhattan – or at our new Los Angeles, CA location. The Audible legal team operates under a hybrid work in-office and work from home model.
As a Corporate Counsel, you will...
- Act as lead production counsel on original content productions.
- Provide analysis and advice on copyright, trademark, chain of title, defamation, rights of publicity and privacy, and music rights issues.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate agreements for a wide range of original content productions (e.g., talent agreements, participant agreements, vendor agreements, location agreements, materials releases, music licenses, ancillary rights agreements, etc.)
- Advise on legal compliance questions including guild, regulatory, privacy, labor and employment, public policy, safety and immigration questions.
- Provide strategic advice to cross-department stakeholders including creative, business affairs, production, marketing, PR, finance.
- Assist with the development of forms, processes, and policies.
- Oversee and resolve escalations from Rights and Clearances team.
- Train junior attorneys and legal professionals in supporting various Audible stakeholders throughout the content acquisition, production, and distribution lifecycle.
- Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one U.S. state bar.
- 6+ years of experience working as a media and entertainment attorney.
- Extensive experience in content review, risk assessments, counseling on legal compliance issues, and drafting and negotiating contracts.
- A thorough and comprehensive understanding of content production and licensing.
- Capacity to function autonomously yet communicate laterally and upwardly with ease.
- Strong legal and business judgment in ambiguous situations.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work under deadline.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to effectively coordinate complex issues and projects with varied levels of management and employees.
- Mix of major law firm and multi-national media company experience.
- Experience or strong interest in spoken word audio entertainment.
- Experience with guilds and/or unions (SAG, WGA, and Equity) a plus.
- Experience with music licensing.
- Passion for Audible core mission to improve lives through storytelling, the company’s commitment to urban revitalization and its disruptive, technology-driven culture.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.