Senior Data Engineer, DataXTechnology | Job ID 2158257
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity is within Audible’s Data Engineering group. The Data Engineering group owns technology platforms and datasets that enable systems and people to uncover new insights and fine-tune operations to meet business goals. We need your help designing and building these.
As a Data Engineer, you will...
- Apply broad knowledge of technology options, technology platforms, design techniques and approaches across the Data Engineering ecosystem to build systems that meet business needs.
- Build systems and datasets using software engineering best practices, data management fundamentals, data storage principles, recent advances in distributed systems, and operational excellence best practices.
- Analyze source systems, define underlying data sources and transformation requirements, design suitable data models and document the design/specifications.
- Demonstrate passion for quality and productivity by use of efficient development techniques, standards and guidelines.
- Effectively communicate with various teams and stakeholders, escalate technical and managerial issues at the right time and resolve conflicts.
- Peer review work. Actively mentor other members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field.
- Proficiency in functional programming languages (e.g. Python) as well as declarative programming languages (e.g. SQL, SPARQL).
- 2+ years of hands on experience in working on data-centric systems using MPP Database technologies and Hadoop, Spark, Kafka or AWS equivalents.
- Understanding of processing and modeling large, complex data sets for Analytical use cases with Database technologies such as AWS Redshift, Teradata or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work independently with little supervision to deliver on time quality products.
- Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision.
- Familiarity with AWS cloud technologies such as Elastic Map Reduce (EMR), Kinesis, Athena.
- Familiarity with BI and Visualization platforms such as MicroStrategy and AWS Quicksight.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word. Audible offers a Hub+Home hybrid workplace model that gives employees flexibility between gathering in a common office space (work from hub) and remote work (work from home). Some teams will work mostly at hub, some mostly at home and others hybrid. For more information, please visit adbl.co/hybrid.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
We are committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive culture and community. Audible’s Impact Groups encourage an environment where you can be you, and bring your whole self to work.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
Being a Data Scientist at Audible means impacting millions of customers every day—it's a meaningful and inspiring mission; to enrich customers’ lives with education, entertainment, and information.
Director, Data Science
At Audible, we seek to exemplify what a company can mean beyond what it does. As Newark's fastest-growing private employer, we recruit and cultivate local talent as well as drive forward a wide range of community initiatives with a focus on supporting Newark's renaissance. Our global offices embrace their local communities as well, and our employees around the world volunteer and serve in their communities in addition to seeding and growing the local creative economy.
Plan for every chapter of your career journey with a wide range of generous benefits that you can rely on. We’re fostering an environment where everyone can thrive, individually and as part of the greater Audible community.