Senior Android EngineerTechnology | Job ID 1347877
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Android Core Group’s name says it all: this team owns the central experience for the Audible Android App. Android Software Development Engineers build user interfaces for listeners, expand and improve deployment, test, test and test again… and work with new technologies powered by our parent company, Amazon. We’re in it for the long run – invested in the continued success of our much-loved project and we’re inspired by each other to continue building its strong foundation.
You’re a problem solver and life is your hackathon. A fast-paced environment fuels your creativity – not to mention your team who inspire you. You’re always happy to press pause, take off your headphones and connect with a colleague. Through plenty of practice you’ve mastered how to translate even the most complex ideas in a simple and digestible way. While you’ve dabbled in a few programming languages, your heart is always with Java. But you’re adaptable, enterprising, and ready to take ownership of your next project.
· Own key components within our platform. "Owning" means envisioning, designing, creating, building, and supporting.
· Lead the way - "Lead" means staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies, and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon, and sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
· Partner with product management to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
· Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
· Adopt best practices in software engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, and operations.
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
· 5+ years of professional software development experience.
· Strong data-oriented skills with knowledge of Algorithms and database design.
· Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
· 2+ years of experience in designing and developing Android Applications using Java, Android SDK, Studio, APIs, or Frameworks; and experience with object oriented.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and successfully resolve ambiguity
· Willingness to learn, be open minded to new ideas and different opinions yet knowing when to stop, analyze, and reach a decision
· Well-rounded engineering skills; full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience.
· Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions
· Experience working with Agile methodologies
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Sign up for Job Alerts
- Director, Software Development Cambridge, Massachusetts Technology
- 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Backend Search API Cambridge, Massachusetts Technology
- 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer, Audible on Alexa Cambridge, Massachusetts Technology
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
Fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks and drinks to get your creative thoughts flowing.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Discounted sports clubs or fitness reimbursements.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer