Director, Software DevelopmentTechnology | Job ID 1849061
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Audible is looking for a Lead Software Development Manager (SDM) to guide the Advertising Services team. Come join a high-performing team of forward-thinking software professionals who can help us bring the best experience to millions of customers!
You will tackle stimulating, novel situations every day and have the opportunity to work at the intersection of Audible and Amazon technologies. This role includes managing other SDMs and working closely with stakeholders across Audible. Along the way, you’ll learn a lot, have fun, and make a positive impact on millions of people.
As a Director, Software Development you will oversee development efforts and architectural designs, guide project vision, be a product owner for development projects, and hire and develop engineering talent. In this role, you will manage a team to design, develop, test, and deploy scalable services. You will work closely with product managers, engineering leaders, and leadership across the company to develop a roadmap and feature set to deliver the best possible customer experience.
As a Director, Software Developer, you will...
· Own the complete software development lifecycle: defining, prioritizing, designing, and leading implementation and testing of new features within an Agile environment.
· Define, manage and improve the software and product development processes by working closely with high-performance engineers.
· Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team and ensure project plans and delivery commitments are met.
· Coach and mentor our high-performing architects and engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done, while enabling them to be future leaders who are focused on building a high growth and inclusive culture.
· Architect and develop the innovative technical design and implementation approach with the overall product line goals and objectives in mind.
· Own team’s operational excellence, including creation of and monitoring of metrics and alarms in a continuous process improvement environment.
· Manage department resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing to maintain a best-in-class engineering team. Hold regular 1:1s with the team.
· Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
· 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Experience managing, motivating and retaining high-performance engineering teams.
· Demonstrated experience with design and architecture.
· Ability to affect positive change, empower people, cultivate product technology visions and innovative solutions.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present technical information and negotiate tradeoffs with a variety of audiences.
· Experienced decision maker with the ability to articulate product vision and roadmap.
· Prior experience as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer on the direction of the product design and development.
· 5+ years of software development experience in object-oriented design, coding and highly scalable, available and low latency web technologies.
· Experienced with building and architecting on AWS.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
What we can offer you
We are a community of brilliant minds, brimming with fresh ideas and working shoulder to shoulder to achieve greatness. And because of this, we think it’s only fair that we offer some nice little perks to everyone who goes the extra mile at Audible.
We promote flexibility in how and where we work with our Hub+Home hybrid workplace model.
Dental and vision plans, life insurance, and the medical plan options that suit individual needs.
Plan for your future with employer-matched savings accounts.
We grant our employees restricted stock units, because we want them to think and act like owners.
We love what we do but everyone needs the opportunity to hit the refresh button. Take advantage of vacation days, sick days, and personal days to rejuvenate.
From tickets to local events and exciting company-sponsored events, regular outings and team-building events foster our spirit of collaboration.
As part of the Amazon family, Audible employees are entitled to a discount on products on Amazon.
Learning & Development
We want to help you grow with learning and development programs, leadership training and tuition reimbursement.
What keeps me motivated here in one word is 'opportunities.' Being able to deep-dive into complex cross-domain problems and stepping out of my comfort zone with projects, technologies and people. I can spontaneously collaborate with literally anyone—from my Audible teammates to my Amazon counterparts to our CIO and CEO—and most importantly get valuable feedback along the way.
Software Development Engineer