Newark, New Jersey
Audible Software Development Engineer
Software Development | JOB ID 1668054
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you’ll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
If you’re a dedicated problem solver, this is the role for you. Identifying and overcoming challenges is at the heart of everything you do; whether it’s looking ahead to our listeners problems, or analyzing every inefficiency, you thrive when you strive for perfection. We look for people who take responsibility, who feel the pride in a job well done and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. With a knowledgeable team around you, and opportunities to challenge yourself, it’s a perfect environment to develop and apply your new skills.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Be part of a full-stack team that includes other iOS, Android, Web, and API developers.
- Make cross device development faster and higher quality.
- Be a key part of the team for API development.
- Describe and implement REST APIs, ensuring their performance and scalability for our millions of customers.
- Plan, populate, and maintain distributed data stores for high throughput and correctness.
- Partner with other engineers to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
- Solve problems and have a large degree of ownership for the delivery of your code and design.
- Support the platform and ensure continual uptime.
- Proficiency in Java or related object-oriented language.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field.
- 1+ years of professional software development experience.
- Ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
- Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
- Experience with documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment.
- A preference for Agile development methodologies.
- Ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience.
- Competency in automation, enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment or Chaos Engineering.
- Knowledge of distributed systems: how they’re built, maintained, and perform.
- Recent experience with REST API development, microservices, event-driven architecture, and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more about Life Inside Audible
- Interns turned full time Software Development Engineers
- The Economic Impact of our commitment to our communities
- Our Lead Intern Recruiter, Jeremy Bradshaw
- Reinventing our workplace for Covid-19, and beyond!
- Our Statement on Racism and Justice
- Our Statement on Trans Rights
- Our Impact Groups, and Spectrum and Belonging
- Our Latest Launch
- Explore Our Newsroom for the latest in Audible News!