Newark, New Jersey
Audible 'Next Chapter' Returnship Program - Software Engineer
Software Development | JOB ID 1689541
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Audible’s “Next Chapter” Returnship Program is a 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 18-week returnship program. There is a possibility of a full time offer conversion post-returnship. These full time offers will likely be based out of Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA, and all full-time opportunities will offer relocation packages.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Engineer, it’s up to you to define, design and refine the tech that keeps us one step ahead of listeners. Anticipate. Innovate. Bring challenging ideas and we’ll support you with the latest tech, tools, and systems that you need to succeed. We pride ourselves on our ability to imagine and invent solutions to problems of the future and you’ll be essential in this forward-thinking approach to development. Together with the team, you’ll build and maintain our platform to bring thousands of stories to millions of listeners and unleash the power of the human voice.
You feel pride in every step forward, however big, or small; to you, each challenge represents a well-executed venture to support our listeners. If you’re looking to build on your skills and grow into a leader, this is your next step. We look for people who take responsibility, set their standards high and see every failure as an opportunity to learn. You’re looking for an environment where you can thrive. With opportunities to challenge yourself and a talented team by your side, you’ll find what you’re looking for at Audible.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will...
- Develop, and test software components and applications for the largest creator and provider of audiobooks in the world.
- Identify and resolve software defects by reviewing code errors, log files, metrics, using debug functions, and other troubleshooting techniques.
- Work on an agile engineering team writing maintainable and scalable code for software components.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our customers and inspires your peers.
- Apply principles and techniques of computer science, engineering and analysis to solve problems of moderate scope.
- Continuously improve the testability, operational excellence (OE), and documentation of the software components owned by your team.
- Classify, store, and handle data in accordance with company policies.
- Participate in the interview process and mentor other engineers.
- Programming experience with one or more modern languages (e.g., Java, C++, C#), including object-oriented design.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and problem solving.
- Experience in building scalable software services (e.g., SOA, Micro-services)
- Experience building and delivering software systems to internal or external customers
- Knowledge of professional software development life cycle best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Problem solving skills and willingness to accept new challenges, take ownership and be adaptable.
- Basic understanding of security concepts.
- Capable of using technology to solve straightforward problems. Can take a defined design, turn it into high quality code, and deliver it on schedule. Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is (and isn’t) appropriate to use them.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more about Life Inside Audible
- Interns turned full time Software Development Engineers
- The Economic Impact of our commitment to our communities
- Our Lead Intern Recruiter, Jeremy Bradshaw
- Reinventing our workplace for Covid-19, and beyond!
- Our Statement on Racism and Justice
- Our Statement on Trans Rights
- Our Impact Groups, and Spectrum and Belonging
- Our Latest Launch
- Explore Our Newsroom for the latest in Audible News!